My Music My Art

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Is it worth making your own hard board paint panels?

In the beginning, I used to buy pre-stretched canvas and or canvas panels. Today I make my own paint panels from hard board. I like to make my own gallery paint panels which are 1 5/8" thick and either 18"x24" or 24"x30". I can buy a 2'x4' hard board panel for just a few bucks and the wood for a little over that each. I find that the darker panels work better for me than the light colored ones as the light colored panels have a lot more dust flying around which is a health hazard.

I use 1"x2"x96" clear pine for the backing and edges and cut them to size and then glue them in place with a good wood glue.  It doesn't matter whether you use a butt joint or a miter. I use miters because I've been a carpenter and a wood worker for decades and am used to cutting miters with my power miter saw. To seal everything I'll buy a can of Rustoleum gray matte 2X Painters Touch all purpose spray paint. All in all the entire panel will cost me a fraction of what I would pay otherwise. I can get 2-18"x24" and one 12"x24" panels or 1-18"x24" and 24"x30" panel off one 2'x4' hardboard panel all for under $15.

The spray paint will adhere to just about anything and as long as it's not an oil base paint, I can use acrylic paints over it without having to gesso the entire panel. Acrylic paints also will adhere to just about anything so gesso isn't always necessary. One thing I might advise you on is to follow directions on the spray paint can. For a second coat do it within an hour otherwise you will need to wait 48 hours before applying a second coat. For that matter, I will wait 48 hours before beginning to start my painting to make sure that the paint had dried fully. I have not had issues doing this yet!

gallery art panel from hardboard


back side of gallery art board

front side of gallery panel with face sealed

paints I use to seal my paint panels along with a paint can trigger

I use the paint can trigger mechanism for better control. Some of the paints have so much pressure that getting good control and accuracy is a bit difficult. I don't need to be fighting with spray paint. I have enough problems just using the spray cans so the trigger handle works like a charm and with any other spray paint and sealers. It cost me only a couple of bucks. Using a painters respirator with any spray paint or sealer is a must regardless where you spray. I spray in a well ventilated garage and keep the door wide open. Even then there is always spray mist flying around not to forget about the strong odors. The mask keeps my lungs free and clear of any deadly mist from spray paints.

Here are a few paintings I did on my home made gallery hardboard paint panels using acrylic paints over Rustoleum Painters Touch all purpose 2X paints with no gesso.

painting I did on a home made paint panel

a painting on a 18"x24" gallery home made panel

another painting on a home made panel

an acrylic painting on a gallery home made art panel

No comments :