My Music My Art

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

FolkArt 789 Clearcote Acrylic Sealer Matte

I use a lot of Plaid paint products including folkart. I though that I would give their clearcote a try and found this:


WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm – www.P65Warnings.CA.gov

Soft matte finish. This product may not be purchased by those under 18 years of age.

I got this :
  • Ideal for professional artists and decorative crafters
  • Soft Matte finish
  • For use on wooden, wicker, florals, metal, canvas or any paintable surface
  • Non-yellowing finish
  • Waterbased-non-toxic 
from Amazon.com. where I purchased my 12 oz can. Notice it says non-toxic just above and yet Plaid has a warning that it can cause cancer etc. and may not be purchased by anyone under 18.

folkart 12 oz can of clearcote


I used the matte on several paintings and noticed a very strong and lingering odor. As always I use any of these sealer's outdoors. It's as bad as using turpentine indoors to clean your oil brushes, it'll smell the entire house. This, like other sealers is also highly flammable and could easily start a fire if you have a furnace or a water heater with a pilot light. DON"T DO IT! USE IT OUTDOORS!

Not only did I use this stuff outdoors, I also wore a painters' respirator to eliminate the breathing of any of the mist. I already have one form of cancer and don't want to end up with lung cancer as well.

So how'd the stuff work out? It's probably my favorite to use as it has an outstanding result. For oils I would suggest Krylon Kamar varnish. This is only meant for water based paints.

The colors are bright and vibrant and even the colors that ended up almost hidden in the background became clearer. It does not change the colors nor does it yellow. It does give you a much wetter look which has to do with bringing out contrast as in a photo shop program.

I don't recommend using this clearcote or others unless you are willing to go the extra mile to protect yourself, from the hazards involved, which most of you won't. They can make a non toxic brush cleaner for oils and yet in this age, they can't do the same for a sealer/clearcote spray for acrylics and oils. So are they waiting for more people to die from cancer before it happens? Crazy!


No comments :