My Music My Art

Sunday, July 8, 2018

Folk Art acrylic paint review

Paints are rated on a light-fastness scale that runs from 1 to 5.
1=Excellent
2=Very good
3=Good
4=Fair
5=Poor

All of the Folk Art Acrylic Paint Colors are rated Excellent or Very Good (1 or 2). These paints are made from some of the purest pigment available, which results in its superior quality.

folk art paint
This acrylic paint is thicker than the Apple Barrel acrylic paints, are slightly thinner than traditional acrylics and comes in a variety of colors and finishes. I like to use the matte finish since it's going on a painting and when dry, it gets a gloss sealer. Other finishes would be a waste of money for me for obvious reasons. I pay under a buck for each matte color at my local Walmart. The paint goes on very smooth and makes knife work a bit easier.

I could just use the Apple Barrel acrylic paints but every now and then I need something a bit heavier in viscosity so I turn to folk art paints. I've done plenty of paintings just using the folk art paints. The colors as with any acrylic paint dries darker than what you see when pouring it out to your palette so you may need to make some adjustments to enhance the color by adding a little white or yellow depending on what you are striving for. I usually end up having to add a few layers to my forefront to make them stand out. Often times the painting might look darker than I expected but when I add my acrylic sealant or a gloss varnish the colors seem to pop a bit more.

I do recommend using these paints. They are fairly inexpensive compared to the ones in a tube. They come in 2 oz and 8 oz bottles and are pour-able. The colors are vibrant and the paint has superior quality as the one's in tubes. Below are a few paintings I did using just the FolkArt acrylic paints by Plaid.

painting with FolkArt acrylic paints

painting with FolkArt acrylic paints

painting with FolkArt acrylic paints

painting with FolkArt acrylic paints


No comments :